Good evening panda friends! First of all, I would like to say happy Chinese New Year to you all and wish you a wonderful year! 新年快乐! Our week also started with the Chinese New Year decorations and students watched CCTV Spring Festival Gala! They were so interested in those performances!
1. In science this week, we investigated how much water a dry sponge can soak up. Students guessed a number and then did the experiment to find out the real answer! It's amazing to see a dry sponge can even soak up the water more than its mass!
2. In math this week, we kept working on fractions. Students made their own designs by using fractional units and shared during the museum walk. Check out these cool works:
3. On Wednesday, we also had a small party for 100 days of school! Students filled the bucket list before they turn into 100, think about how they want to spend $100, created a hundred monster, and relaxed in 100 computer games!
4. On Friday assembly, panda class performed a song 猪之歌 (Song of Pig) to celebrate the Year of Pig! Check out the video here:
Also in assembly, we announced our new GALA turtle design and also the new Welcome to GALA video:
5. This week's golden turtle we are looking for students who are balanced. And the winner is Jerimiah 安杰瑞! He did a great job balancing academic and physical education, most importantly, he used strategies he learned to verbalize his needs when feel frustrated. Great job!
Reminders for the upcoming week:
1. Feb 14 - Field trip to Orchestra, please return the parent consent form by Tuesday (Feb 12). Students may dress UP (not down) for the orchestra, or may wear their uniforms. Think button down shirts, ties, dresses, etc. No jeans, t shirts, sweat shirts.
2. Feb 15 - No school, teachers' PD
3. We are running out of classroom snacks. If you could bring one or two snacks to share with class that will be wonderful!
4. Math learning schedule: Module 5 Lesson 11 (Monday), Lesson 12 (Tuesday), Lesson 13 (Wednesday), and Mid Module Assessment (Thursday). Please finish the lesson at home according to the schedule if you will be absent. A very useful website which including each lesson's short video, conceptual learning, and homework guide: embarc.online/course/view.php?id=40
Let me know if you have any questions!